As a Church of Ireland place of worship, we are a full member of the Anglican Communion. Our vision is to be at the heart of the community, strengthening commitment, outreach, worship and showing Christian love and extending a warm welcome to all, irrespective of colour, creed or class. Our beliefs are summed up very succinctly in both the Apostles' Creed and the Nicene Creed.
Our church was designed to be part of new town of Enniskillen that was created in the years following 1611 on the orders of King James the First of England. The first church building was probably completed in 1627. Richard Pokrich, one of the founders, had a son called William who, tragically for Richard, in 1628 was the first person to be buried in the churchyard. William's gravestone has been set into the wall of the cathedral for all to see.
Hardly any of the original church remains, but part of its tower was incorporated into the present one and can be seen above the main entrance door where there is a small, old three light lattice window and a carved stone dated 1637 together with the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God).
The original church (The Church of St. Anne) was eventually extended and by 1832 it was demolished and the present building was constructed and completed in 1842.
In 1923, Enniskillen had grown so much that the church was upgraded to cathedral status and renamed St. Macartin's Cathedral. The older cathedral in Clogher was retained, so our diocese, highly unusually, is unique in having two!
In 1970, part of the nave was converted into a regimental chapel in memory of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the Royal Inniskilling Dragoons, both of which were absorbed into other British Army regiments.
Less than a dozen parish churches in Northern Ireland have towers with peals of eight or more bells where campanologists can exercise their skill. Enniskillen is one of these, and the peal of ten bells is rung in changes each Sunday and on special occasions.
An aerial view of our church (lower half of photo). Just opposite is St. Michael's Roman Catholic church.